Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Sickbed

Last night, SB and I loaded up the kids to head out on our hour journey to the town where my stepdaughter lives to watch her school play. We got about 15 minutes into our drive when SB said he wasn't feeling well. He felt like he could throw up and was very light-headed. We decided to turn around and go home because it would be a very long night if he ended up getting sick at the school play and I was left to wrangle all of our kids and then drive us back home.

We hit the McDonald's drive-thru on our way back into town because nothing had been planned for dinner and as soon as we walked in the door SB headed for bed to rest and told me to wake him up at 7:30pm so he didn't sleep all evening.

Hmm.

Now I was supportive that he should rest. Anyone with whom you love, when they're not feeling well you want them to rest, right? But I couldn't help being a little upset. There are many many times when I've been sick. Really sick. Not just feeling sick. That I have felt so much guilt over just going and laying in bed, behind a closed door and leaving SB to take care of the kids alone that I just don't do it. I suck it up and wait until the kids are down for the night and THEN I get my resting in.

Maybe I need to be less self-sacrificing and start following his lead. He seemed to have not one ounce of guilt that I then had to sit with the kids, alone, while they ate their dinner. Then I took them outside so their screeching and fighting wouldn't disturb him. And then I had to fight with each one individually when it was time to go in the house to go to bed. Ducky I put to bed at 7pm, Twinkletoes at 7:30 (she normally goes to bed with Ducky, but I was feeling nice and let her stay up a bit longer) and then, Punk was off to dreamland at 8.

Spoiled Housewife, my ass.

I did indulge in 2 glasses of chilled wine and finally got around to reading my April's edition of Family Circle and after I got all the kids tucked into bed I took a hot bubble bath. But frankly, I earned it.

I'm curious. How do YOU as a mother deal with sickness? When you're sick, do you take the time to nap and rest once your husband is home? What about your husband? Do you allow him to take that time to himself even if you don't do it for yourself? Let me know by commenting here, and if you're lurking around the shadows..come out come out wherever you are! I want to know who's visiting so I can visit YOU!

And if you noticed that you used to be on my sidebar, but are no longer there, please leave a comment. I lost my blogroll when I switched names, and now..I am having trouble getting everyone added again.

0 comments: