Friday, July 10, 2009

A Time For Quiet

I love spending time with my husband. We usually sit outside together in the evenings after the kids are in bed, talking or playing Cribbage. It's good to sit together and unwind while enjoying each others company and conversation. We'll usually head inside around 10 or so and watch an hour of TV before snuggling down for the night and falling asleep. I truly love this time with SB, and couldn't imagine my life without him as my companion.

But then there are times when we're stressed and tired, and just not much fun to be around. Not that we're fighting or anything, just not really in the mood to talk. Last night was one of those nights. We put the kids to bed, I took a shower, and SB pulled out the laptop and started playing Texas Hold 'Em on Myspace. He never does stuff like that, and I know for him it was nice to just do his own thing. I had a book that I was trying to finish up ("Northern Lights" by Nora Roberts"), so I sat across from him at the table on the breezeway and fully immersed myself in the story.

We were comfortable. We were quiet. We were happy. Neither of us felt like we had to entertain the other. Neither of us felt like we had to sit and chat about the stresses in our life. We just enjoyed the peace and quiet, together, but separately. It was a great "re-charge". I looked at SB at one point and just felt this overwhelming rush of love. So I told him. He smiled, and I knew that he felt it too.

Sometimes when you've been with someone for so long, you just know what they need. Last night SB needed quiet. Last night he needed to do something indulgent, that as a father of 6 and sole provider for our family of 5, he rarely takes the time to do. And I was okay with that. More than okay really. It's nice to know that we can be together but still do our own thing without feeling left out.

Marriage is so awesome. You learn new things every single day. You go with the flow. Roll with the punches. And if the love is there, as well is should be since you decided to spend the REST OF YOUR LIFE with that person, you can be happy doing just any small thing as long as the love of your life is by your side!

1 comments:

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

Being able to do that with Luke was one of the things that screamed to me that I needed to marry him. I think it takes a good solid relationship to be able to take a step back and think about your self first every once and a while. That and I always think it is so nice to be able to do our own thing yet be together while doing it.