Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Poop

What a fun weekend! I hope you all had a fun one too.

There was one part the weekend that was not so great. Twinkletoes' poop.

This poor child has constipation issues. And she is scared of the "poop that hurts" so she holds it in. That's what happened this weekend. Saturday she was practically lethargic the whole day. I gave her a child laxative in the morning to help, but all that did was let the poop that was already in her intestines to be smeared out around the blockage. After seeing her cry in pain. Take a nap to forget about the pain, and then proceed to spend the rest of the afternoon in the house on the couch while everyone else was outside laughing and playing. I had had enough. My poor little girl's fun weekend away from home was being ruined by poop! This was NOT going to happen ANYMORE!

So I did what I did not want to do. I did what she did not want me to make her do. I made her sit on the potty and scream through the pain until the poop came out. I felt like I was coaching her through childbirth. And what did eventually come out was SO HUGE that it CLOGGED UP THE TOILET!! I had to PLUNGE a 3 year old's poop!! Not cool!!

So now I am determined for this to never happen again. She has suffered with this issue long enough. I will no longer allow her to hold her poop in for days just to have this continue to happen.

Every morning, I vow to make her sit on the potty and get her poop out. She hates it. I hate having to make her do it. But, it's worth it for her not to have to continue to go through what she went through Saturday afternoon.

Have any of you had similar problems with their own child. Is there another way to help her through this fear of going poop? She has plenty of fiber in her diet. She just is scared to poop. And holds it in until it becomes a major blockage. Help a momma out, would ya??

2 comments:

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

My daughter has had this issue so far but the little girl I watch has. I don't have any tricks or info but I know that it is hard to see them so scared of pooping.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Jen, send me an email via facebook, if you're interested I could write a book on this topic- believe me! I bet I can suggest an easy fix for you!